Sunday, February 7, 2010

2010 Super Bowl Blog



Who will win the Super Bowl? I feel the Colts win will and Peyton Manning will further solidify his legacy as one of the best Qbs of all time. For those who say Manning is arrogant or a jerk, I don’t see it. He prepares better than most Qbs in the game and seems to know what is coming before most other Qbs. He was able to rip a Jets defense for 24 unanswered points after the Jets were up 17-6 in the AFC Championship game. The Colts are also much better on defense than most give them credit for. The vaunted Jets running game that ripped through SD and the Bengals, was held under 100 yards.

I think the Saints are a nice story and will feel good for them if they win, but I think that the Colts have too much on both sides of the ball for them to contend with. In my humble opinion, the only way NO wins this game is that they must have a plus 2 turnover ratio and have at least one TD on an unconventional method (kickoff ret, int return, fumble etc). I respect Brees very much so and he is a class act and has worked very hard since leaving SD to be one of the top Qbs in the game, but I think the legendary Manning will be too much to handle.
One other method NO can try to use is keep away, ala Denver in 1997 vs GB and the Giants in 1990 vs high powered Buffalo. The difference between Denver, NYG and the Saints is that those defenses were better equipped to help out their higher power offenses. If Pierre Thomas can have a good game and the Saints use Bush the proper way, then they can try to dominate the time of possession to win. I would not try to outgun the Colts as they will eventually come up short in my humble opinion.
Another underrated aspect of the Colts is how Autin Collie and Pierre Garcon have stepped up their games when Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark were shut down in recent games. This part of the Colts offense makes them so hard to predict. The sixty four thousand dollar question about Manning was always how was he going to get Wayne and Harrison the ball. Pitt and Ne did shut them down in the past and that caused major problems to the Colts during their playoff runs pre-2006. Manning has matured as a QB and has learned to take what he was given and not force the ball into coverage.

I feel this will be a very entertaining game but in the long run, I have to go with Indy 34-24. Just too much offense, Manning and experience for the Saints to overcome. It would be a nice story for the Saints to win, but it is not as likely as most across the country want to happen. Enjoy the game and hopefully you can win a square, have some excellent food and fun all at once.
Thank you to all the great fans of this board for reading this. I know this is not going to be a popular article but it is what I feel will happen. Please leave feedback and if you disagree, that is okay, just try to be nice about it lol.

3 comments:

  1. You make some valid points Bronco .I agree that the Colts probably have too much ,but with a few breaks the Saints could win

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul for reading my humble blog. Well as a Bronco fan It has been way too long since I have seen my team in this great game. Manning is one of the best of all time and I expect him to add to his legacy and HOF career. Saints are good but their D leaves much to be desired IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to the Saints for the Upset. Thank God I dont bet lol. Brees is a class act and is very humble. The picture with him and his young son was awesome. It is priceless. Also to all those fans of New Orleans. Good for you. You have suffered enough over the years. Its nice for you to win a Super Bowl, not just host them.

    ReplyDelete